I’m a breakfast person. Lunch, dinner, they’re great, but if I had to pick one category of food, it would be breakfast. I don’t even have to eat it at breakfast time (in fact, being so NOT a morning person, I’m notoriously bad at eating breakfast… like, at actual breakfast time). From pancakes to eggs to French toast, there’s nothing about breakfast food I don’t like. But there is one breakfast food that I cannot. ever. ever. ever say no to. Turnovers. *drool* The flakiness of the pastry. The flavor of the fruit filling (or cream, or chocolate, I don’t discriminate). And amazingly, the ease of making them. Seriously. This is the easiest breakfast dish you are ever going to make. And it might be a little dangerous for your waistline because oh my gosh, I can’t resist making these all the dang time. These strawberry turnovers are SO simple, you might cry a little. I won’t blame you if you need to grab a tissue really quickly before we keep reading.
Start by thawing some store-bought puff pastry sheets. It’s not cheating to use storebought, it’s smart– they’re premade, and you just have to thaw them to make the pastry for these turnovers. Who doesn’t love a timesaver? Once the sheet of puff pastry is thawed, cut it into squares– I got 9 from each sheet, 18 total from the package of Puff Pastry that I used.
Take each square and fold it gently into a triangle, making two slits almost all the way (but not quite) to form a diamond on your pastry, as shown in the picture. You want the point to not-quite touch but almost touch.
Unfold the squares, then in the center, spread 1 teaspoon of chocolate spread and 1 teaspoon of strawberry ice cream topping (or replace the chocolate spread with cream cheese. Or do fruit only. Or whatever… these are SO flexible, it’s mind blowing. Seriously. MIND. BLOWING).
To fold them and create a yummy puffy pocket, simply fold one side of the triangle over and press it down slightly. Then flip the other one across. It’s really simple, but once it’s baked, your friends are going to be asking “How the heck did you do that?!” It’s the little things, simple pleasures, like blowing your friends’ minds.
Transfer your turnovers to a greased baking pan and bake according to the package directions on your Puff Pastry package.
They’ll be golden and puffy, and that’s how you’ll know they’re done! I love how simple these are, and they’re ready to serve, or you can make a simple two-ingredient glaze from 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 Tablespoon milk.
Do you want to know what’s crazy about these turnovers? My family wanted to know where I had bought them. Have you ever had a breakfast treat that was so good, so gorgeous, that your family thought they were store-bought? Yeah. Exactly. They’re mind-blowing.
Strawberry Turnovers Recipe
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed
- Chocolate Spread or Cream Cheese (18 teaspoons, one per pastry)
- Strawberry Ice Cream Topping (18 teaspoons, one per pastry)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Milk (up to 1 Tablespoon)
- Cut thawed puff pastry into squares, gently fold each square in half cutting a diamond shape (leaving one small point attached). Unfold.
- Place chocolate spread or cream cheese on each square, then top it with strawberry ice cream topping.
- Fold one side across the pastry and press gently down, then fold the other side across the pastry (as shown in the pictures on MamaPlusOne.com).
- Bake according to package directions on the puff pastry packaging.
- Remove from baking sheet. Mix powdered sugar and milk (one teaspoon at a time) to make a glaze. Spoon glaze over pastries.
- See MamaPlusOne.com for detailed picture instructions of the folding process of these pastries.
More Sweet Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast Tools You’ll Love
The links above are affiliate links. These have no additional cost to you, but show you some of my favorite kitchen tools and supplies and help support MamaPlusOne! MamaPlusOne is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.